How to style mirrors into your interior design
With the evolution of so many incredible mirror shapes, styles and sizes, the age-old looking glass has become much more than a trusty companion to help you get ready in the morning. Mirrors have earned status as an effective interior design tool used to fulfil practical purposes and a multitude of creative motives. Whether you want to add a polished touch to your interiors, make a statement with wall art or amplify light and space, a thoughtfully chosen, well-positioned mirror is the answer.
Discover our favorite ways to style with the reflective accessories in our round-up of looks using mirrors to their maximum potential.
All items shown below are available at Techniek & Design Plaza!
1. The Statement Piece
A statement mirror is a great way to create a sense of artistry on your wall. Designs supercharged with oversized proportions and personality serve as a focal point and are perfect for adding interest to transition areas of your home, such as hallways and corridors.
2. Random Mirrors
In this modern room, randomly arranged mirrors of different sizes and shapes are juxtaposed against each other to capture slices of views of the bedroom. Framed in simple black, these mirrors are contemporary and quirky at the same time.
3. A Mirrored Wardrobe
Mirrored sliding shutters in the bedroom can create a dramatic effect and transform your everyday bedroom into one that is anything but boring! Add some subtle lighting and silken sheets, and your bedroom can transform itself into an ultra-glamorous den.
The Advantages of Using Mirrors
As mentioned before, when used in the right way, mirrors can accentuate spaces, make a small space look larger or improve the lighting in a room. They can be used to frame interesting views or add a touch of drama to space. The reflections cast in a mirror can be more eye-catching than a static picture frame, as they can showcase dancing leaves or pretty patches of light and shade.
- Think carefully about where you position the mirror and the angle you wish to reflect.
- Placed next to a lampshade, a mirror will enhance the light in the room.
- When sitting on a sofa, you might want the mirror to reflect a favorite piece of art that is on the wall across you.
Do and Don’t with Mirrors In Home Decor
- Before you choose the position where you want to hang your mirror, do consider what will be reflected in it, from all angles.
- Just as a mirror will highlight anything of beauty, if it is hung right across from something that is ugly, it will give that item too much importance.
- Also, do remember that a mirror can be positioned at whatever height looks best, unlike pieces of art which should always be hung at eye level to show them off to the best advantage.
A clever designer can use mirrors to enhance light, create dramatic interest, accentuate dimensions, and add character to any space. We hope that these tips have helped you think of your mirrors in a new light!